This Italian Salmon with Tomato Basil Salsa is one of those dishes that is shockingly simple but so full of flavor, you will make it for busy weeknights and dinner parties just the same. Served with Crispy Balsamic Brussels Sprouts and Creamy Ricotta Spaghetti Squash or whole wheat pasta, you have a healthy and satisfying meal.
Baked Italian Salmon comes together in about 15 minutes, making it perfect for busy nights. The salmon is seared with a simple homemade Italian inspired spice blend and then topped with fresh tomatoes tossed with fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. It makes the perfect weeknight meal and can be paired with almost anything. Plus the leftovers make the most delicious salads and grain bowls. This salmon piled over some cooked farro with arugula and tons of the tomato basil salsa is so so good. Add some fresh mozzarella cheese or feta and it’s to die for.
Speaking of simple meals, consider prepping your side dishes ahead of time to make this a real fifteen minute meal. For me, that usually means making either quinoa, brown rice, farro, or spaghetti squash on the weekend so it;s ready in the fridge. Then I just roast a quick cooking veggie like asparagus or zucchini and cook it at the same time as the fish. Just place it on a baking sheet or foil, toss it with some olive oil, and cook it on a lower rack in the oven. It will cook in about the same amount of time.
This meal is also super healthy. Salmon is often called a superfood since it is packed with nutrients, lean protein, Omega 3 fatty acids, and more. Tomatoes are also winners when it comes to healthy packed with lycopene and antioxidants.
How long do you cook salmon?
To cook the perfect salmon, it’s important to consider three things – the thickness of the salmon, the temperature of the oven, and how well done you like your salmon. Some people like salmon cooked medium rare and others want it cooked through, flaky, and opaque. Depending on your preferences, use the lower edge of the guidelines for more rare fish and the upper end of the guidelines for more flaky, opaque salmon. You also may need extra time if you have an especially thick piece of salmon.
- How long to cook salmon at 350 degrees? A standard size filet or a whole piece of salmon will take between 20-25 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees,
- How long to bake salmon at 400 degrees? If you kick the oven about to 400 degrees, salmon takes between 12-15 minutes to cook through.
- How long to cook salmon at 450 degrees? At 450 degrees, salmon will cook in 8-12 minutes.
- What about broiling salmon? Broiling is one of the fastest ways to cook salmon and it will take between 6-9 minutes in the broiler or in an oven at 550 degrees,
- How long do you grill salmon? If you opt to grill your salmon instead of baking it, it normally takes between 7-10 minutes to grill.
You can cook the salmon for this recipe as suggested in the broiler or use any of the cooking guidelines above depending on what else you are cooking and how quickly you want to cook dinner.